The objective of this seminar is to hone your intercultural competencies and thereby support you to establish yourself professionally in Germany. It will raise your awareness for the intricacies of German culture in contrast to your own as well as the other participants’ cultures. This can help you develop strategies to better communicate with potential local clients, colleagues, partners and collaborators, to avoid conflicts and even to navigate the notorious German bureaucracy.
It will also help you to network more successfully in professional and private contexts and can help you to reach out beyond your cultural community (this is not just referring to a national identity but can also be applicable to bridging other cultural contexts, like certain art scenes, creative and business communities etc.)
It can even enrich your social life and help you burst out of the “expat bubble” (should you feel stuck in one).
You will be introduced to a set of cultural dimensions and standards. However these are not introduced and utilized in the sense of strict guidance or generally applicable recipes to unlock another culture (as these do not really exist) but as an invitation to reflect your own experiences, question critical incidents and their outcomes, apply to your own situations and thereby broaden your scope of options, actions and possibilities of positive outcomes.
You will experience a positive, respectful atmosphere that promotes mutual support. Several teamwork scenarios will enable you to harness the experiences and knowledge of the whole group to find better options and new perspective for your individual intercultural communication and exchange.
This course is for you if
- you are an artist or creative individual with an idea or project that you want to establish or are already running in Berlin
- you are a creative or artistic freelancer, entrepreneur or business owner and want to improve your knowledge of the intricacies of intercultural communication
- you are new in Berlin or have been living here for a while and find it easier to follow a course in English than in German
- you are a local and want to connect and exchange ideas with creatives from different cultural backgrounds while practicing to communicate in English
- you are an open minded and respectful individual that wants to meet people with different cultural backgrounds
1 day, 8 hours
Intercultural Trainer / Coach
Sebastian Adelung is an intercultural trainer and coach for businesses as well as social institutions operating in international contexts. The purpose of the trainings and coaching sessions is to raise awareness for cultural differences and to smoothen challenges arising from them. Sebastian has studied and worked in Germany, Egypt, France and the UK. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Arabic Studies from the Free University of Berlin and a Master’s Degree in International Relations from the University of Durham.
This seminar is offered in cooperation with the Germany Israel Cultural Foundation e.V.